How to handle your fear and anxiety1613x 28. 10. 2019 1 Reader
Does fear and anxiety prevent you from solving situations? Does he paralyze you? What is fear, and why do we experience it?
It is natural to avoid the emotions that scare us. Who would like to live delight for fear and other negative emotions. Perhaps only adrenaline lovers and those who like to overcome themselves. Which, of course, is also very important. Adrenaline and subsequent serotonin are a reward for us.
But if our tendency to avoid negative emotions grows over our heads, we can become hostages to our own fears. And as hostages, we look for any way to avoid these emotions, to hide and find safe hiding from possible triggers of such emotions. But what if a potential trigger can also be a source of joy, happiness and growth in life? Isn't it a pity to be scared of fear and get lost of beautiful experiences and your own inner growth?
The good news is that with this one can work. It is not good to put your fear somewhere in the lower compartment of our emotional chest of drawers and do not exist. It is much better to try to fully perceive and respect fear. And also try to analyze and understand it. So he will not control us, but we will control him.
Recent studies on anxiety and fear
Earlier this year, Science published a study conducted by scientists from the École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL). The study was conducted using mice and showed how repeated and gradual experiencing the same type of fear helps the brain relax and get rid of anxiety. Rodents were initially placed in a small box and were given a small shock. After some time, the scientists put the mice in the box again, but no shock. The initial response of the mice was stiffening and anticipation of shock, but this did not come. As the mice were put in and out of the box without shock, they calmed down and stopped experiencing the fear and anxiety of the expected shock.
Even in people, this type of treatment can help. For example, after experiencing trauma. For example, when treating fear of flying, it is advisable to start with gradual steps. For example, to read something about airplanes, go to the plane to look at the airport, go and enter the plane without taking off and then try a short flight.
The story of Doreen
Doreen suffered one of the worst traumas that could be imagined - her sister (twin) committed suicide. Fourteen months later, another tragedy occurred: Beth, a cousin who had been very close to Doreen once, jumped off the bridge. Doreen was so afraid of another sadness and pain of losing her neighbors. Instead of dealing with her emotions and fully experiencing the pain she felt, she found a way to escape from her: to exclude from her life strong bonds and friendships and almost always to travel.
After one of her travels, she threw herself into my office, telling me she was in the Amazon and met a shaman. So much she wanted to tell someone close to her about her talent, but there was no one to whom. That is why she decided to stay at home for a few months and focus on what she was most afraid of: herself.
She tried to meet and make friends in online chats, but once she was about to meet, she felt a great anxiety and fear that paralyzed her. They were so unbearable that she preferred to stay at home. She was afraid that if she let someone go to her heart again, their departure would destroy her. But she realized that although she had lost her sister and cousin, she was still there and she managed it. Therefore, she tried to register for another event with new potential friends. On the day of the event she felt strong symptoms of anxiety - tremor, palpitations, sweating. But she knew it would be even worse next time and wouldn't go anywhere like that. This step was crucial for Doreen. Gradually her fear disappeared and she began to live an active social life again. She is still afraid that she may lose her loved ones, but her fear no longer controls her.
Tips for working with your fear
If you have a panic fear, it is certainly better to discuss it with your therapist, for less serious fears it is advisable to try the following recommendations.
- Feel your fear fully for 2 minutes. During this perception, say, “Everything is fine. I'm not feeling well, but the emotions are like waves in the ocean - they come and go again.
- Write down all the things you are grateful for in your life on a sheet of paper. Check this sheet whenever you feel anxious.
- Try to understand fear and anxiety, write them a letter: Dear anxiety, you intimidate me, I know. But what do you want me to understand or learn?
- Try body activitythat dissipates your thoughts (your mind can only fully concentrate on one thing ..). It can be yoga, boxing, dancing or running, what you enjoy and fulfills.
- Test your imagination and humor to lessen your fears. Try to imagine the very worst scenarios of your fear. What do you fear when you have to speak in front of an audience? Will you be arrested for the worst speech in history? Can you pee on stage? How likely is this to happen? There are no limits to imagination, the worse and more extreme scenarios it will be, the less you will be worried about.
- Be nice and kind to yourself. What advice would you give to a friend in the same situation? How would you advise him? Fear and not try anything new? Be equally kind to yourself. Try to be your best friend.
Tip from Sueneé Universe
When all classical procedures fail to cure diseases of modern medicine, he can get on the scene psychosomatik. He will help himself lifestyle change, reveal psychological problems or even unsolved traumas from childhood and adulthood.